– Choice. The problem is choice.
– The first Matrix I designed was naturally perfect, a work of art. Flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is apparent now, as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human. Thus, I redesigned it based on your history, to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature. However, I was again frustrated by failure.
I have come to understand that the answer eluded me, because it required a lesser mind. Or perhaps, a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection.
Thus, the answer was stumbled upon by another, an intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the human psyche. If I am the father of the Matrix, she would undoubtedly be its mother.
– The Oracle.
– Please. As I was saying, she stumbled upon a solution, whereby 99 percent of subjects, accepted the program, as long as they were given a choice, even if they were only aware of the choice at a near unconscious level. While this answer functioned, it was fundamentally flawed, thus creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that, if left unchecked, might threaten the system. Ergo, those that refused the program, while a minority, if unchecked, would constitute an escalating probability of disaster.
– This is about Zion.
– You are here because Zion is about to be destroyed. Its every living inhabitant terminated, its entire existence eradicated.
– Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.
The function of the One, is now to return to the source, allowing a dissemination, of the code you carry, reinserting the prime program. After which you will be required to select from the Matrix 23 individuals, sixteen female, seven male, to rebuild Zion. Failure to comply with this process will result in a cataclysmic system crash, killing everyone connected to the Matrix,which, coupled with the extermination of Zion, will result in the extinction of the entire human race.
– You won’t let it happen. You can’t. You need human beings to survive.
– There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept. The relevant issue is whether or not you are ready, to accept responsibility for the death of every human being in this world.
– It is interesting reading your reactions.
– Your five predecessors were, by design, based on a similar predication, a contingent affirmation, that was meant to create a profound attachment, to the rest of your species, facilitating the function of the One. While the others experience this in a general way, your experience is far more specific, vis-a-vis love.
– Apropos, she entered the Matrix to save your life at the cost of her own.
– Which brings us at last to the moment of truth, wherein the fundamental flaw, is ultimately expressed and the anomaly revealed, as both beginning and end. There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the source and the salvation of Zion. The door to your left leads back to the Matrix, to her, and to the end of your species.
As you adequately put, the problem is choice.
But we already know what you are going to do, don’t we? Already I can see the chain reaction, the chemical precursors that signal, the onset of an emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason. An emotion that is already blinding you from the simple and obvious truth:
She is going to die and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously, the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.